In a stunning development, the Trump administration is finalizing plans to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a memo obtained by The Associated Press.
According to MSN, the 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.
The deployment includes four states that border on Mexico are included in the proposal — California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas — but it also encompasses seven states contiguous to those four — Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana, according to the report.
Governors in the 11 states would have a choice whether to have their guard troops participate, according to the memo.
The memo, dated Jan. 25, is a guide implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that President Donald Trump signed Jan. 25 the report said.
The memo says participating troops would be authorized “to perform the functions of an immigration officer in relation to the investigation, apprehension and detention of aliens in the United States.” It describes how the troops would be activated under a revived state-federal partnership program, and states that personnel would be authorized to conduct searches and identify and arrest any unauthorized immigrants.
The White House and the Department of Homeland Security did not answer request for comment and a status report on the proposal were not answered.
According to AP, the draft document has circulated among DHS staff over the last two weeks. As recently as Friday, staffers in several different offices reported discussions were underway. If implemented, the impact could be significant.
Last week, ICE officers arrested more than 680 people around the country.