Army Secretary Drops The Hammer On Trump: ‘There Is No Investigation’ Into Vindman
Donald Trump has been crying out that the military should take action against Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman for providing damaging testimony during the House impeachment inquiry.
But Trump’s cries will not be answered. In fact, Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy assured this week that the Army is not going to be investigating Vindman.
“There’s no investigation into him,” McCarthy said at the National Press Club.
Trump claimed on Tuesday that the Army should “take a look” at Vindman for testifying against him.
“We sent him on his way to a much different location, and the military can handle him any way they want,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office.
Asked specifically if the Pentagon should pursue further action against Vindman, Trump said it would be “up to the military.”
“But if you look at what happened, they’re going to certainly, I would imagine, take a look at that,” Trump added.
The comments raised fears of military punishment for Vindman despite Defense Secretary Mark Esper suggesting earlier there would be none.
“We protect all of our persons, service members, from retribution or anything like that. We’ve already addressed that in policy and other means,” Esper told reporters at the Pentagon hours before Vindman was removed from his National Security Council job.
On Friday, McCarthy downplayed Vindman’s removal from the National Security Council, saying he had been scheduled to leave the job in May or June anyway.
Right now, Vindman has a “bridging assignment” working at Army Department headquarters “for a few months” until he attends as “senior service college this summer,” McCarthy added.