Connect with us

Political Dig

Concern For Corruption Rises, White House Refuses To Release Visitor Logs

BOOYAH

Concern For Corruption Rises, White House Refuses To Release Visitor Logs

Donald Trump has been asked to release the White House visitor logs. On Friday, the Trump administration decided to announce that they will keep the visitor logs private and will not be releasing them, breaking a practice that started under the Obama presidency.

According to Time, White House communications director Michael Dubke stated that the decision was made due to “the grave national security risks and privacy concerns of the hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.”

The Trump administration said that keeping the logs a secret will protect the president’s ability to seek advice from people “with some discretion.”

The administration has offered to release a very limited number of records of visitors to the White House, such as the Office of Management and Budge. The will be accessible through the Freedom of Information Act request.

But records that apply to the president and senior staff will no be released.

So far this week, three ethics and good-government watchdog organizations have sued the Trump administration in federal court. They are demanding that the logs be released to the public.

“We hoped that the Trump administration would follow the precedent of the Obama administration and continue to release visitor logs, but unfortunately they have not,” Noah Bookbinder, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said in a statement.

The records will not be available to the public until five years after Trump leaves the White House.

Click to comment

More in BOOYAH

Advertisement

Trending

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top