Here’s What Trump Was Doing As Navy SEALS Fought For Their Lives In Yemen
Every day something new is revealed that confirms Donald Trump is unfit to be president. As a team of elite U.S. commandos found themselves under unexpectedly heavy fire in a remote Yemeni village last month, eight time zones away, their commander in chief was not in the Situation Room.
What was he doing? Well, his Twitter account was busy promoting an upcoming appearance on the Christian Broadcasting Network.
“I will be interviewed by @TheBrodyFile on @CBNNews tonight at 11pm. Enjoy!” read a tweet from President Donald Trump’s personal account on Saturday, Jan. 28, sent out that tweet at 5:50 p.m. ― about half an hour into a firefight that cost a Navy SEAL his life.
The Tweet was deleted 20 minutes later. It’s not clear who deleted the tweet, or why the new president, just a week on the job, chose not to directly monitor the first high-risk military operation on his watch.
As The Huffington Post notes, the CBN interview did not actually air until the following night, Jan. 29, and Trump may have realized the error and deleted the tweet for that reason.
Or, Trump’s aides might have realized that the Yemen operation was going badly and deleted the tweet to avoid looking callous.
The timing of the CBN tweet and its deletion is the latest detail in the story of a military special operation that went not at all as planned.
Chief Petty Officer William “Ryan” Owens was killed in the raid, and four U.S. service members were wounded. A $75 million Osprey aircraft was damaged and had to be destroyed to keep it from falling into enemy hands. An eight-year-old American girl was also killed during the failed operation.
Subsequent reports pointed out that Trump did not participate in a formal National Security Council review of the plan, but instead was briefed over a dinner meeting three nights before the raid.
In the initial aftermath, Spicer said the raid had killed 14 fighters with the group al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. But as reports of civilian deaths spread, Spicer said the whole point of the mission was “intelligence gathering,” in the form of laptops and cellphones that were taken.
By the following week, amid reports that Yemen had withdrawn permission for U.S. troops to conduct raids there and that the purported main target of the raid, AQAP leader Qassim al-Rimi, had escaped and was now taunting Trump, Spicer denounced criticism of the raid of any kind.
“The life of Chief Ryan Owens was done in service to this country and we owe him and his family a great debt for the information that we received during that raid,” Spicer said on Feb. 8. “I think any suggestion otherwise is a disservice to his courageous life and the actions that he took, full stop.”
The White House did not respond to The Huffington Post’s requests for comment on the issue.