Connect with us

Political Dig

Pentagon Official Burns Trump: ‘We Don’t Have Troops Just Sitting Around Waiting To Go On Parade’

NEWS

Pentagon Official Burns Trump: ‘We Don’t Have Troops Just Sitting Around Waiting To Go On Parade’

The U.S. military is growing increasingly concerned about President Donald Trump’s demand for a military parade, CNN reported Monday.

Trump has called a military parade multiple times during his presidency. But a defense official directly familiar with initial planning efforts said the proposed parade could interfere with military training schedules.

While the military is accustomed to developing options to go to war, the official said that, lately, they’ve been developing options for Trump.

“The problem is this,” he said, according to the report. “What they have discovered is if President Trump wants a full-blown military parade, thousands of active duty troops, their weapons, tanks, missiles, aircraft, you know, in Washington marching down Pennsylvania Avenue, flying overhead, it is going to interrupt training schedules.”

CNN’s Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr quoted one official, who said: “we don’t have troops just sitting around waiting to go on parade.”

They’re planning to present options to Trump and let him decide, but one thought they included as a kind of multimedia parade that could allow for massive video screens on the National Mall people could watch with videos of a display of some sort.

The solution, in that case, would not allow Trump to ride in a tank.

Last week, budget director Mick Mulvaney told the House Budget Committee that the parade’s cost would vary depending on length, but could be anywhere from $10 million to $30 million.

Pentagon officials reportedly said in an early meeting about the parade that they did not know how they would pay for it. The administration is reportedly targeting Veterans Day for the parade.

Click to comment

More in NEWS

Advertisement

Trending

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top