A video featuring President Donald Trump speaking to supporters at rallies using Queen’s “We Will Rock You” as its soundtrack has been taken down after the publisher of the legendary band told the Trump campaign that the use of their song was “unauthorized.”
The video was posted on Oct. 9, and it used the song in its entirety. But the band had “already entered into a process to call for non-use of Queen song copyrights by the Trump campaign. This is ongoing,” the representative said within hours of the video going up.
By Sunday, the video was no longer available on Twitter, and a band representative told BuzzFeed News the takedown was handled by Queen’s music publisher. But by that time, it had been viewed more than 1.7 million times.
“This media has been disabled in response to a report by copyright owner,” Trump’s tweet said Sunday.
Don’t expect this video — which uses Queen’s “We Will Rock You” in its entirety — to remain up for long.
A rep for Queen told me tonight that the band “has already entered into a process to call for non use of Queen song copyrights by the Trump campaign. This is ongoing.” https://t.co/VTLRnLx87p
— Adam B. Vary Scary (@adambvary) October 10, 2019
The Trump campaign has been getting into trouble lately for using music against the artists’ wishes. A video featuring “Photograph” by Nickelback was taken down earlier this month over copyright issues. And last week, the estate of Prince slammed Trump for playing “Purple Rain” at a rally in Minneapolis.
A statement on Twitter said: “The Prince Estate will never give permission to President Trump to use Prince’s songs.”