President Donald Trump told reporters on Monday that he believes it is “very safe” to continue holding campaign rallies across the country during the coronavirus outbreak.
“I think it’s very safe,” Trump said during an Oval Office meeting with Colombian President Iván Duque Márquez on Monday morning.
Trump’s comments came as he is scheduled to headline a rally in Charlotte, N.C., on Monday evening.
“Well this was set up a long time ago and others are,” Trump said, referring to the North Carolina rally. “You could ask that to the Democrats because they’re having a lot of rallies.”
The coronavirus outbreak has led a number of countries in Europe and Asia to take measures to mitigate the spread; Switzerland, for instance, has banned events of over 1,000 and Japan has implemented a country-wide school closure.
The virus reached the United States last month. The total cases in the U.S. to nearly 90 and two reported deaths. The virus has reached at least 11 states.
Trump on Saturday sought to ease concerns about the virus, saying that more cases were likely but that there was “no reason to panic.”