Donald Trump’s inaugural committee made a pledge to donate leftover money from the ceremony to charity. That pledge has yet to come true, according to a new report.
The Associated Press reported on Friday that Trump’s inaugural committee has yet to fulfill their promise to donate money to charity.
The committee, which is chaired by Tom Barrack, is months behind previous administrations and may not have completed an external audit of its finances in the months since the celebration, according to the AP.
Back in June Barrack said in a statement to the AP that “a full and clean external audit has been conducted and completed.” But sources are telling the AP a different story. According to multiple sources, they were “unaware” of a third-party audit of the committee’s post-inauguration finances.
Traditionally, inaugural committees begin the process of giving away money within three months, the AP reported.
Sources who spoke with the AP said that Trump’s inaugural committee “blew out their budgets on so many things.”
According to the report, Trump’s inaugural committee raised at least $107 million for the January concerts, balls, and other celebrations. But just months after the events, it could not provide a figure for its remaining funds, which is traditionally donated to charity.
“I couldn’t tell you how we possibly could have spent $25 million on a concert,” Steve Kerrigan, head of President Barack Obama’s 2013 inaugural committee responded to the AP when presented with that figure.
Barrack said in a recent statement that the donations “surely will exceed any previous inauguration.” He said the committee would publicly disclose financial details at the end of November.
“Our ability to raise more private funding than any inaugural committee before is a tribute to the generosity of the American people and their excitement to “make America great again,” Barrack said earlier in September.